A Terrible Father Or A Terrible Lawyer

Day two has come and gone. I have a feeling I'm going to miss the orientation days once the major classwork begins. **sigh** Today was a much less stressful day than yesterday. It was more general information about how to manage stress, student services, and our swearing in to the honor code.

We had the president of the Wyoming Bar Association come and talk to us a little bit about being a lawyer and he had a really interesting comment. A girl in the class asked him how he manages to balance his career and his family. This is what he said: "I could have been a really great lawyer. But with a family, that's not possible. You can either be a really great lawyer and a terrible father, or you can be a really great father and a terrible lawyer." He claimed that he thinks (and hopes) that he's found the right balance. Although he may not be the best lawyer in the country, he also is able to be with his family more often. So I thought that was kind of interesting and applicable to me.

I also had to buy books today. Ouch. You might as well have kicked me in the groin and mugged me cause that's what it felt like! $800 later, I'm ready to begin the semester. It's unbelievable the expenses that come with being a law student, and even more unbelievable how difficult it is to actually secure financial aid for yourself. I don't know how other people are doing it, but it has been an ongoing cause of stress for me! But, I think we'll get it all figured out and be just fine in the end.

The financial aid advisor spoke to us today and had an interesting quote as well, "You should live like a student today, so you don't have to live like a student later." Point taken.

Well, tomorrow is our community service project and I've been assigned to help on the farm! YEE HAW! We also have the concurrent session with our spouses to discuss how NOT to get divorced. Later that evening is the BBQ, so Heidi will finally get to meet some of my fellow classmates. Should be fun!

Anyway, I'm going to sign off so I can go cry into my pillow about how freakin' poor we are! Just kidding (I'll save that for bedtime). :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment