And Now The Fun Begins...

So that's it. The orientation is over. You'd think I would be pretty glad to get that over with, right? WRONG. All that means is that the real work begins. Oh yea, and now it counts! I've never felt more pressure in my entire life. It is very weird. I don't even know how to explain it, but it is a very intense feeling. I mean, think about it. If I fail then I have blown over $40,000 in tuition and books, I have spent countless dollars in preparation and moving expenses, I have imposed additional stress and discomfort on my family, the list goes on and on. Never before in my entire life has the stakes been so high and the goal so excrutiatingly difficult to acheive. I'd ask you to wish me luck, but it's going to take far more than luck!

Today was pretty laid back, as far as orientation goes. We did a service project this morning and I helped out on the school farm (am I really turning into a redneck already?). We pulled weeds, dug up thistle, and harvested crops. Just call me Cletus - YEE HAW! It was good, though, because I was able to bond a little bit more with some fellow classmates.

After the farm, we went back and worked on our case briefs. Apparently, over the next three years I will be writing literally hundreds and hundreds of case briefs. That's alright with me, though. I think they're actually pretty fun and interesting.

Following that they had the hour and a half session for the spouses, so Heidi and Trey Bug came to the school for that. I know what you're thinking - what did they do with Trey? Did he sit through that? And the answer is: Are you kidding me?! Of course he didn't! I had to go relieve Heidi of her duties so she could attend the class. Unfortunately, the class wasn't quite what I hoped it would be for her. I guess they were pretty negative about what these poor spouses will have to face and only gave Heidi more fear and apprehension. She's been handling things so amazingly and I know that she's trying to bottle up all her emotions so that it won't affect me. She's the best wife a law student could ask for, and I can't imagine going through this with anyone else but her. I hope she knows how much I've appreciated her support and cooperation with this whole situation (and if she didn't, she does now!).

We had a BBQ afterwards where Heidi got to meet some of my fellow classmates, and then that was it. Orientation is over. **sigh** As I mentioned before, now the real grind begins. In fact, here's a list of the reading assignments that are due on the FIRST DAY OF CLASS! (Seriously, homework on the first day?)

Legal Writing - 23 pages
Torts - 13 Pages
Property - Two Supreme Court Cases (approx. 12-15 pages)
Legal Research - 23 Pages
Contracts - 17 Pages

And there's still one more class that I haven't heard from yet, that will inevitably be making an assignment as well. The thing is, in undergrad I could easily get away with not reading. In law school, you have to come prepared with notes, a marked up book, and they randomly call on you to explain what you read. So it's not like just skimming the pages will suffice. This requires active reading! No shortcuts here.

Well, I'll be starting that tomorrow probably. So if I find some time, I'll let you know how it goes. This post is already way too long, so I'll sign off here.

No comments:

Post a Comment