Is That All You Got?

I'm feeling a bit masochistic after my first day of orientation. It was a lot to take in - they definately tried to scare me to death, and the warned extensively about how grueling the next few months were going to be. And you know what? I liked it!

Boy was it A LOT of stuff to process, but it got me really excited. Hearing the instructors use the legal lingo and talk about the law got me thinking "yea, I want to be like that!" So that's good news.

Here's a few little interesting tidbits from my nine hours of orientation today:
  • We are the first law class in UW's history to have a female majority. That's right. There's more women in my class then men.
  • The Dean of the school reminded us that we were all likely the top of our undergraduate class (that's why we're actually in grad school) and probably were used to getting A's. However, he wanted us to inform our significant other that we will definately need some consoling when grades are handed out at the end of the semester. The average grade for the 1L's is a C and we really shouldn't expect anything above that. Ouch. That will be a hard pill to swallow.
  • We will probably be putting in 2-3 hours of study for each hour of class we have (and sometimes 4-5 hours!). Let's see...I'm no mathematician, but I have 16 hours of actual class time per week. So if I have to put in, say, an average of three hours of study per one hour of class that's... gulp... 48 hours of study time combined with my 16 hours of class time for a total of... double gulp... 64 hours per week. I hope not. But we'll see how it goes.

Well, I think that's it for now. I need to go spend some time with my family while I have it, so I'm going to wrap this post up now. I'll see if I have some time tomorrow to write about day #2 of law school boot camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment