Just Call Me "Esquire"

So I've been really jazzed about something I just learned the other day. I've been telling everyone about it. I found out that the proper name given to those in the legal profession is "esquire"! How freakin' awesome is that?! (sorry for using the f-word there, Brenda... :O) So in three years when I finally get my J.D., I will formally be known as Blair Tal Wardle, esq. And I expect you all to address me as such. No, I kid. But it is pretty cool...and you can call me that if you want.

I'm still going strong in school and it is as busy as ever. I've been pretty consistent with staying at the library and studying until about 6:00 pm everyday (although some days I end up bringing some homework home). I think I'm figuring out how to be a little more efficient, so that helps.

We've been studying some pretty interesting stuff. I'll spare you the in-depth analysis, but here's just a few points of law I've learned that I thought were pretty interesting (please ignore the flower bullets. They come with the layout!):
  • Assault and battery are SEPARATE charges
    Battery involves making actual physical contact with another person, and assault is causing someone to have appprehension about imminent bodily contact
    ** So here's something for you to think about --> considering those definitions, is it possible for someone to be assaulted without battery? **
  • Battery doesn't necessarily have to be physical contact with the body directly
    We read a case where a guy was charged with battery simply for grabbing another guy's dinner plate!
  • A contract can be legally binding even if you think it's a joke
    We read a case where a guy was joking with his friend about selling his property to him. They wrote it on the back of a bar receipt and the court enforced it!
  • If you own mineral rights to your land, your neighbor can drill a well near the property line and legally pump all the oil out from underneath your property
  • And finally... Criminal law is becoming VERY intriguing to me
    We just read a case about a korean lady that shot a 14 year old girl in the back of the head for shoplifting orange juice and only got 6 months of probation...and I agree with the sentencing! I'll see if I have time to post it on here so you can get the details and see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, that's the law school side of things. I've been trying to give updates about family life and social life too, so I'll make a few comments about that before I sign off.

Last Wednesday we had the Nish's over to our place. It was pretty fun. We ate a little pizza, played some Wii, and talked. Heidi and I aren't used to this kind of thing, so we felt a little out of our element. We're both pretty socially introverted and don't like to bother with inviting people over, but we're trying to turn over a new leaf over here in Laramie. They're a really cool couple, so I hope we get to hang out more often.

As for the family side of things, we were able to have a good extended weekend with our family. It sure was nice to be home with all of my favorite people in the world. We drove to Tremonton Friday right after school got out and arrived about 8:00 pm. I got to play basketball with Dane and my old work buddies. It was a pretty relaxing weekend, but unfortunately I still had homework that needed to be done (which, you'll be happy to know, I finished). On Monday we had to drive home, but not before eating at Goodwood Barbecue in Ogden with Mom, Dad, Fritz, Brenda, George, and LaVada. It was a nice finish to a great weekend. I was truly happy to see everyone again.

I got thinking about it, and we'll be home at least once a month, every month until the end of the year. We were already home in September, we'll be home for Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November, and of course, Christmas in December. So living this far away, so far, hasn't turned out to be that bad.

And finally, I'll leave you with some VERY GOOD NEWS!
My dear, ol' mom talked with the county attorney that she works for (Box Elder County), and he said that I could come and intern there this summer! WOO HOO! That means we'll be moving back for at least three months this summer! If everyone keeps their fingers crossed for us, it may be a permanent move back to Utah (if I can transfer back to BYU or the U - we'll see).

Well, it's always best to leave on a good note, so I'll consider that my cue. Roll credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment