Hearts Turn To Clovers

I can't believe it has been a month since I last posted. I guess that's why Teri mentioned that I haven't posted in awhile. Ooops! A lot has happened this past month, too. Let's see...

I gave my oral argument a couple weeeks ago. We were given a case from Colorado about a teacher that left ten days before the school year started (in violation of her employment contract) and therefore had her final paycheck withheld. Me and another student each had to prepare a twleve minute argument and get up in front of the judge (my teacher - a district court clerk) and present it. The difficult part about it is that the judge interrupts your presentation and asks questions (which may or may not pertain to what you're talking about). The trick is to answer the question without losing your flow. It seemed to pose some problems for others in the class that went before me. We had to present our arguments in the district courtroom, which added to the apprehension. I was nervous (who wouldn't be) but had done multiple practice arguments with Jared beforehand. Fortunately, when I went in there and gave my argument, I delivered it just how I had practiced. It felt so comfortable and natural! While I was standing up at the podium delivering my argument, I realized that I am doing exactly what I should be doing. It was a cool feeling. I can't wait to do it for real now.
A couple days later we got our grades back. I got 26/30 (one of the highest in the class). I could have got higher but I didn't stop speaking on time (oops!). In the days following, everyone in the class got to meet with the professor to discuss how we did. When I went in to talk to him he asked if I had much public speaking experience. I told him that I had nothing formal. He then told me, "You have what the rest of us wish we had. It just came natural to you. That was the best oral argument I've seen in the last two or three years." I thought that was pretty nice of him to say. A further pat on the back came from Britney. The other day she pulled me aside and told me that when she went in for her meeting with the teacher, he told her that I was "a natural" and "that is the standard everyone should be trying to meet." As if that wasn't enough, another student in my class (actually, it was the lady I argued against) said that my teacher also told her I was a "natural." So, anyway that's enough stroking my ego for now. Oh, wait. Not quite yet...

So, here's another cool bit of information. The law school had a competition to design the new online library catalog logo. As many of you know, I have had some experience in creating logos for other people and business, so I decided to submit something. I found out the other day that my logo had WON! Here's the link: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/LawLib/logocontest.asp. I've actually changed the colors for logo, so here's the updated one:



The logo will ultimately end up on the online catalog website, which is here: http://uwcatalog.uwyo.edu/search~S2 I did get a prize for winning, but it wasn't much. A cool bag, popcorn, popcorn bowls, a water bottle, and two DVD's (A Civil Action and Paperchase). So anyway, that's kinda cool too.

As for basketball, we lost our first two games but won our third one. We went to the playoffs and won the next two games (one by nearly 30 points). Our last game was the most horrifically refereed game I've even been in. But I'll save my complaining. I am pleased with how far we did get. We were one game away from the championship.

But enough about that, let me give an update on the two people more important than me!

Heidi has been working like crazy to reach her weight loss goal. I've never seen her so determined! She's been averaging a loss of two pounds per week! Incredible. She's been working so hard I'm really proud of her. She's lost almost ten pounds so far! A couple weeks ago we got to travel home for Heidi's cousin's wedding. While there we got to see her uncle Jason and Aunt Teri. They looked incredible! Lots of hardwork and discipline helped them shed some pounds and it totally motivated Heidi. So thanks to those two for not only being good motivators, but for being good people altogether!

Heidi has also been keeping up with her Young Women's calling and it is really bringing her out of her shell. She's given a couple of lessons so far (something I never thought I'd see) and has done an incredible job! She's been given multiple compliments, so I know she's done good and I'm proud of her.

As for Trey Bug... He is talking A LOT more now! He's starting to put sentences together now. Today I came home for lunch and as I was getting ready to leave Trey was in his high chair. He waved his little hand at me and said, "Bye dad-dy. Love you." Cute kid! Heidi has taught him to count to five and his vocabulary is expanding every day.

His hair was starting to get long again, so Heidi and I decided to take matters into our hands. I busted out the clippers and went to work. I thought he'd be scared, but surprisingly, he didn't mind. In fact, he giggled when I tried to clip the back of his neck. It looks good again!

Well, I guess that's all I can think of to write for now. It's half way through the semester already (crazy, right?). Things are going to be getting crazy from here on out so I should have more to write about. The question is, will I take the time to do it? I guess we'll see...

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Blair! Way to go, Heidi! You two are awesome beyond belief. I'm glad you are doing well in all of your adventures and experiences. I am glad you updated! Take care and keep up all of the great work.

    ReplyDelete